The best way to see if a storage facility will be a safe place for you to store your belongings is to visit the facility. Meet the staff, take a tour, and notice if the owners and staff take pride in their efforts.
Ask questions about things that are of interest or concern to you, so that you can make an informed choice of the storage facility that best meets your needs.
To clarify any price differentials and costs for various unit sizes:
- Ask if the price is for 4 weeks or for a full month; if it is quoted on a 4 week basis, add 8.3% to the quote in order to make an accurate comparison to a monthly quote;
- Ask about any pricing specials, and how they might be of advantage to you;
- Ask if there is a security deposit;
- Ask about any extra charges, such as the mandatory purchase of a lock, or the payment of an administrative fee, or about the cost of insurance
To see if you are getting good value for your money:
- Notice if the facility is bright, secure, clean, well lit, and the general level of care given to the facility;
- Notice the attention given to you by the staff, and whether they are interested in making your visit an informative and pleasant experience;
- Notice the attention given to security:
- Notice other features like climate control, pest control, and delivery access;
- Notice hours of access.
- Notice generally if you feel comfortable that you will be leaving your belongings in a safe place.
In addition, notice the staff, and how they respond to your questions, and to any concerns that you might have. If it is your first storage experience, are they attentive to your needs, and do they answer all of your questions clearly and thoroughly. They should be interested in making your storage experience as good as it can be.