3 Tips for Storing Breakable Items in Self-Storage
No matter your reason for storing items, the last thing you want is for anything to get broken while it’s in self-storage! The good news is that there are precautions you can take to ensure that your belongings stay in one piece while you’re storing them.
These are our top three tips for storing breakable items in self-storage:
- Get lots of packing materials to protect your items.
- Pack your items properly.
- Select a temperature-controlled storage unit.
At Abacus Self Storage, we sell packing materials and offer temperature-controlled storage units conveniently located near North York.
1. Get lots of packing materials to protect your items
You likely already have experience packing items carefully to protect them, whether it’s putting away delicate Christmas ornaments or packing a special gift to send to a loved one. The key to making sure that your items stay protected is to have the right packing materials.
The first place to start is with good-quality boxes. If you’re packing up your items for self-storage, it can be tempting to just use any old box you can find. However, a good quality box will protect your breakables much better than a poor quality one.
In addition to boxes, another option for packing breakables is heavy-duty plastic containers. These are a good choice for larger items or if you need to access your stored items while they are in self-storage. With a heavy-duty plastic container, you just have to take the lid on and off, instead of having to cut and reseal tape.
After you’ve secured some good-quality boxes or containers, you need to get your hands on packing materials. The type of packing materials you need will depend on the size, shape, and quantity of items you’re putting into self-storage. These are two of the most popular types of packing materials:
- Bubble wrap
- Packing paper
At our storage units conveniently located near North York, we sell a wide variety of moving and storage supplies, including boxes and packing materials.
2. Pack your items properly
Now that you’ve obtained good-quality boxes as well as a variety of packing materials, it’s time to start packing your items. This isn’t a job you should rush through—it’s important to take the time to pack your items properly!
Follow these steps when packing your items for a storage unit near North York:
- Sort your things by size and type. It’ll be easier to find them later if you group similar items together.
- Wrap items carefully in the appropriate material. Wrap things such as cups, mugs, and plates individually to help protect them and help avoid issues such as chipping and breakage.
- Insert cardboard barriers between your items for additional protection.
- Put packing peanuts or bubble wrap around the entire set of items in a box.
And of course, don’t forget to properly seal the box with tape after you’ve carefully packed everything!
3. Select a temperature-controlled storage unit
You’ve taken the time to get good-quality boxes and plastic containers, and then carefully wrapped up all your breakable items. Great! Now, though, you have to make sure that you pick the right kind of self-storage unit.
When looking for a storage unit near North York, you must seek one that is temperature -controlled. Temperature fluctuations in self-storage units can damage fragile items, and they can also cause damage to other items, including paper documents, photo albums, and electronics.
With a temperature-controlled storage unit, your things will be better protected, no matter what the weather is like outside!
How can Abacus Self Storage help me with storage units near North York?
At Abacus Self Storage, our storage units are located in Richmond Hill. We are conveniently located near major highways, including HWY 407 and HWY 7, making it easy for anyone in North York to access us.
With Abacus Self Storage, we can offer you everything you need for storage units near North York. Our storage units come in various sizes, so whether you need to store the contents of a few rooms or your entire house, we’ve got a unit that will work for you.
We want to be your one-stop shop for all your self-storage needs! At Abacus Self Storage, we can provide you with everything you need to pack up your items for self-storage, including:
- A variety of boxes, such as wardrobe, file, mirror, and TV boxes. We also sell specialized boxes like glass packs and dish packs.
- An excellent selection of packing materials, including bubble wrap, packing paper, tape dispensers, and packing tape.
- Anything else you might need, from Sharpie markers to dust covers to mattress bags!
You can rest easy knowing that your items are well-protected at Abacus Self Storage—plus the easy access from your home in North York! We offer all of the following features:
- A fully fenced property with extensive interior and exterior camera surveillance.
- Our staff perform regular security checks.
- Clean and well-lit storage units and buildings.
- Temperature-controlled units that protect your items from hot summers and cold winters.
Have Peace of Mind Knowing Your Breakable Items Are Well-Protected in Self-Storage
The key to ensuring your breakable items stay safe in self-storage is good planning! Remember to follow these three tips for storing your breakable items in self-storage to make sure they stay well protected:
- Buy the right kinds of packing materials to protect your items.
- Pack your items slowly and carefully.
- Be sure to rent a temperature-controlled storage unit.
At Abacus Self Storage, we can help you with all of this! Our temperature-controlled storage units are conveniently located near North York. We sell various packing materials such as boxes and bubble wrap to help you properly store your breakable items.
Contact Us About Storage Units
Call us at 289-807-1033 or contact us online to learn more about our storage units.
- October 2022
- September 2022
- August 2022
- July 2022
- June 2022
- May 2022
- April 2022
- March 2022
- February 2022
- January 2022
- December 2021
- November 2021
- September 2021
- August 2021
- July 2021
- June 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018