From January 1, 2004, all businesses engaged in commercial activities must comply with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act and, by incorporation, the Canadian Standards Association Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information. These obligations extend to Abacus. The Act gives you rights concerning the privacy of your personal information.
Abacus is responsible for the personal information Abacus collects and holds. To ensure this accountability, Abacus has developed this policy. Why does Abacus Need Personal Information: Abacus provides self storage services and wares to a wide range of customers. In doing so, Abacus produces direct marketing materials concerning its services and wares.
What personal information does Abacus collect? Personal information is any information that identifies you, or by which your identity could be deduced. Without such information, Abacus would not be able to provide you with its services and wares.
would not be able to provide you with its services and wares. How does Abacus collect your personal information? Abacus collects information only by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way. Wherever possible, Abacus collects your personal information directly from you at the start of a transaction, whether a sale or purchase, a license or lease, or in response to an inquiry, and in the course of an on-going business.
Sometimes Abacus may obtain information about you from other sources, for example:
- A credit bureau
- A financial institution
- A public registry
In most cases, Abacus shall ask you to specifically consent, if Abacus collects, uses, or discloses your personal information. Normally, Abacus will ask for your consent in writing, but in some circumstances, Abacus may accept your oral consent. Sometimes, your consent may be implied through your conduct with Abacus.
Use of Your Information
Abacus uses your personal information to provide self storage services and wares to you, to administer billing and accounts, and to include you in any direct marketing activities. If you tell Abacus that you no longer wish to receive information about its services or wares, Abacus will not send any further material. Abacus does not disclose your personal information to any third party to enable them to market their products and services. For example, Abacus does not provide its client mailing lists in whole or in part to third parties. As Abacus continues to develop its business, Abacus may sell, buy, merge or partner with other companies or businesses. In such transactions, user information may be among the transferred assets.
Disclosure of your Personal Information
Under certain circumstances, Abacus will disclose your personal information:
when Abacus is required or authorized by law to do so, for example under order of a court having jurisdiction;
- when you have consented to the disclosure;
- when the services or wares Abacus is providing to you requires it to give your information to third parties (for example to a credit card company which is assuming the charge made on a card it issued to you). Your consent will be implied, unless you tell Abacus otherwise;
- where it is necessary to establish or collect fees;
- if the information is already publicly known.
Updating Your Information
Since Abacus uses your personal information to provide legal services to you, it is important that the information be accurate and up-to-date. If any of your information changes, please inform Abacus so that Abacus can make any necessary changes. Are My Personal Information Records secure? Abacus takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that your personal information is kept safe from loss, unauthorized access, modification or disclosure. Among the steps taken to protect your information are:
- premises security;
- restricted file access to personal information;
- deploying technological safeguards like security software and access codes to prevent hacking or unauthorized computer access;
- internal password and security policies.
- Access to Your Personal Information You may ask for access to any personal information Abacus may hold about you. Summary information is available on request. More detailed requests which require archive or other retrieval costs may be subject to charges.
If Abacus holds information about you and you can establish that it is not accurate, complete and up-to-date, Abacus will take reasonable steps to correct it. Can you be Denied Access to your Personal Information? Your rights to access your personal information are not absolute. Abacus may deny access when:
- denial of access is required or authorized by law;
- when granting you access would have an unreasonable impact on other people’s privacy;
- to protect Abacus rights and property;
- where the request is frivolous or vexatious. If Abacus denies your request for access to, or refuses a request to correct information, Abacus shall explain why. Abacus does not use your Social Insurance Number as a way of identifying or organizing the information Abacus holds about you.
Requests for Access
How information is gathered from users
Abacus does not knowingly collect or solicit Personally Identifiable Information from or about persons under 19 except as permitted by law. If it is discovered Abacus has received any information from a person under 19 in violation of this policy, Abacus will delete that information immediately. If you believe Abacus has any information from or about anyone under 13, please contact Abacus at the address listed below. Abacus can be reached by writing to: 25 Colston Court, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 9Z3 Phone: 289-807-0981 Fax: 289-807-0981