When to Store Items in Your Garage (And When to Use a Storage Unit)
How many houses do you drive by with a two-car garage, but the owners still seem to park both their cars in the driveway? This frequently happens because many people use their garages as storage—not for parking their cars in a safe place!
While it’s certainly convenient (and free) to store your things in your garage, you are paying the price in other ways if you have so much stuff that you can’t park your car in your garage. For example, you are exposing your car to the elements and increasing the chance it could be stolen.
In this article, we’ll explain the best items to store in your garage and when it’s best to use a Markham storage unit.
What are the best items to store in my garage?
When keeping items in your garage, the key is to store the things to which you need frequent access. These are some of the best items to store in your garage:
- Outdoor items that you frequently use, such as pool toys, bikes, skis, and patio furniture.
- Yard and gardening tools, such as hoses, lawnmowers, shovels, outdoor extension cords, and rakes.
- Supplies for your car, such as wiper fluid and tire inflators.
If your garage is often too full to store these necessary and frequently used things, you can rent a Markham storage unit to store off-season items and then swap them when the weather changes.
What are the best items to store in a Markham storage unit?
These are the three best types of items to place in your storage unit:
- Furniture and other items that are too large to keep in your garage. If you have excess furniture or large bins that take up too much space in your garage, then a storage unit is a perfect place for them.
Items that are fragile, vulnerable, or valuable. A garage can be an easy target for thieves, so you don’t want to store valuable things in it.
Lack of temperature and pest control in your garage exposes your things, like books, clothing, and electronics, to potential damage from climate and rodents.
- Infrequently used items. Seasonal decorations, special occasion clothing, and items from your childhood are all things you want to keep but for which you don’t have the space in your home or in your garage.
What are the benefits of keeping items in a Markham storage unit instead of my garage?
There are several benefits to storing items in a storage unit:
- Security. Storage unit companies offer several kinds of security, including monitored alarm systems, and onsite and closed circuit camera surveillance systems.
- Space management. There’s nothing worse than having to find your way through a bunch of clutter just to dig out one tool! By storing excess items in your garage, you’ll have more space for essential items that you use often and be able to find them easily.
- Climate-control. Storage units are temperature-controlled, meaning your items will be more protected during cold winters and hot, humid summers.
- Frees up space for your car. Imagine getting into your car in the winter without it being covered in snow and ice. Or, being able to get into your car in the summer without it boiling from sitting in the sun.
Does Abacus Self Storage offer self-storage units located near Markham?
Yes, we are located in Richmond Hill, but with easy access from Markham. You can reach us several different ways to our location just west of Bayview and just north of Highway 7, including from Highway 407, and from streets like 16th Avenue and Major Mackenzie Drive.
Convenience isn’t all that we offer at Abacus Self Storage. We also provide the following:
- Storage units that are clean, and pest and temperature controlled. You don’t have to worry about your vulnerable items getting damaged by pests or fluctuating temperatures; they’re well-protected in our self-storage units.
- A variety of sizes to choose from. Our smallest units are 4 by 5 feet, and our largest units are 10 by 30 feet. We also offer secure outdoor parking for cars and boats.
- Short and long-term rental options. Whether you need to store items while staging your home temporarily or are moving away for a year, we have a storage solution that will work for you!
- Top-notch security to protect your belongings. Our property is fully fenced with an electronic security gate, and we have extensive interior and exterior camera surveillance and monitored intrusion alarms.
Don’t suffer from an over-packaged garage! Instead, rent one of our storage units located conveniently near Markham, and enjoy all the benefits of a roomy garage and a well-secured storage unit.
The Key to Enjoying Your Garage
A garage shouldn’t just be a place where you store everything that you can’t fit in your house. To make the most out of your garage, only keep things you’ll frequently use in it, such as gardening tools, seasonal toys, and, of course, your car.
For everything else, a storage unit is a great option! Whether you’ve got oversized furniture, infrequently used things like Halloween decorations, or vulnerable items that need to be in a temperature-controlled environment, a storage unit is the perfect “home away from home” for them.
Contact Us to Learn More
No matter your budget and storage needs, at Abacus Self Storage, we can find a solution that works for you. Remember, we’re just a short drive away from Markham! To learn more about renting a storage unit, call us at 289-807-1033 or contact us online.
- December 2022
- November 2022
- October 2022
- September 2022
- August 2022
- July 2022
- June 2022
- May 2022
- April 2022
- March 2022
- February 2022
- January 2022
- December 2021
- November 2021
- September 2021
- August 2021
- July 2021
- June 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018