How to Rent a Self Storage Unit in Four Easy Steps
People rent self-storage units for various reasons. Some people only need to rent a storage unit for a short time while they put their house up for sale or renovations. Others need to rent them for longer while they move overseas for work or extended travels.
No matter what reason you have for renting a self-storage unit, these are the steps you need to follow:
- Determine what size of storage unit you’ll need.
- Decide what features are important to you in a self-storage unit, such as cleanliness, temperature control and security for your belongings.
- Find out what your ideal self-storage unit size will cost.
- Book it and move your stuff in!
At Abacus Self Storage, we offer a variety of self-storage units from 5 X 4 to 10 X 30 in size at affordable prices at our location in Richmond Hill (all measurements in feet).
How big a storage unit will you need?
The first thing you need to do when you want to rent a self-storage unit is determine how big a unit you will need. If you only need to store the contents of one room or a small number of items, you can opt for a 5 x 5 or 5 x 10 unit. If you plan to keep the contents of several rooms, you’ll need to consider a larger unit, such as a 10 x 15 or 10 x 20 unit.
All of our self-storage units in Richmond Hill at reasonable prices, but you will obviously pay more for larger units than smaller ones. Make an inventory of what you want to store before you visit the storage unit rental.
What kind of features do you need in your self-storage unit?
One thing that can impact your self-storage experience are the features a storage location offers. These are some of the most common self-storage unit features:
- Temperature control. Temperature-controlled storage units are important if you have items that can be easily damaged by moisture – such as documents, collectibles, or antique furniture.
- Insurance. Some self-storage facilities offer insurance at reasonable cost, which means you could have financial protection if your unit or its contents are damaged. Ask each storage location you consider whether they have available insurance coverage.
- Security features. Another critical thing to consider is what kind of security features the storage facility you are looking at has. Less security means higher risk for theft or damage. Some essential features to look for are whether you can put your own lock on a unit and if the premises are monitored 24/7 by cameras, motion sensors after hours, and security gates.
- Access times. While some storage locations will offer 24-hour access, this could impact security at that location. Abacus restricts 24/7 access due to security concerns. However, if after hours access is required it can possibly be arranged – just inquire if you have a need for occasional overnight access.
How much will a self-storage unit cost me?
The larger a self-storage unit is, the higher the price will be. Other factors can also influence self-storage unit prices, including location and features the self-storage location offers.
When you’re looking into self-storage unit prices, make sure you ask the following:
- Is the price the storage location is quoting you for a whole month or four-week period?
- Do you have to pay a security deposit?
- Are there any charges on top of the unit rental price, such as administrative fees or insurance?
- Does the self-storage location offer any pricing specials for which you qualify?
It’s essential to make sure you get a clear picture of the total price involved in renting a self-storage unit before committing to one, so you don’t get any surprises on your move-in day!
Book your storage unit and move in!
Now that you’ve determined all of the following:
- How large a storage unit you’ll need.
- What features you need in your storage unit.
- What the price of your self-storage unit will be.
You’re ready to book your storage unit and move all of your items in. Be sure to pack things in a way that adds extra protection – such as using plastic bins or shrink wrapping. Put more oversized items first, so small items can easily fit around them.
Renting a Self-Storage Unit from Abacus Self Storage in North York
At Abacus Self Storage in North York, we offer a wide variety of self-storage units at reasonable prices. There are so many good reasons to rent a self-storage unit from Abacus Self Storage:
- We’re conveniently located in Richmond Hill near both HWY 7 and Yonge and at the ramps for Yonge Street and Bayview Avenue on HWY 407
- We’ve been in business since 1999 and offer very clean self-storage units that are secure and are temperature-controlled
- We offer both short-term and long-term rental options
- We have various storage units – from mini storage units in the 4 x 5 ft. range to larger units up to 10 x 40 ft.
- We often have specials to help you save money on the price of your self-storage unit.
No matter what you’re looking for when it comes to a self-storage unit – you can find something at a reasonable price in Richmond Hill.
You’re All Set to Rent a Self-Storage Unit
Now you know the easy four-step process to rent a self-storage unit.
- Figure out how big a self-storage unit you will need.
- Look at the features of self-storage locations – like 24-hour access and temperature control – and decide which are “must-haves” for you.
- Look into the price of the self-storage units.
- Choose the best one for you and move your items in!
To learn more about renting a self storage unit, and North York self storage prices, call Abacus Self Storage at 289-807-1033 or contact us here
- August 2021
- July 2021
- June 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018