Three Ways to Safely Store Documents in a Storage Unit
Although we’ve moved into an increasingly digital society, we still need to keep copies of documents for many reasons, including legal, tax, family history, or even sentimental reasons.
Whether the reason for holding onto a document, you want to ensure it’s safe and protected. However, that doesn’t mean you always have room to store it in your house or apartment.
If you find yourself in this scenario, you may consider looking into Richmond Hill-based storage units.
These storage units can be a safe, temperature controlled location to maintain documents that are important to you, without cluttering up your home!
There are several great ways you can safely store documents in a storage unit, including the following:
- Decide on which documents you might want to keep at home, and which might go into a storage unit.
- Choose the right kinds of containers for the documents.
- Rent a temperature controlled storage unit.
At Abacus Self-Storage, we can provide you with well-protected and temperature controlled storage units in Richmond Hill, to ensure your documents stay safe!
Get Organized Before Choosing a Storage Unit
Before choosing your Richmond Hill storage unit, you must get organized and review the documents you’re going to store in a storage unit. When it comes to determining what to put in storage, you need to think about:
- Accessibility. Is this a document you may need in the near future? If so, you may want to keep it close at hand.
- Relevance. Is this a document you need to keep at all? If it’s a document you no longer need for any reason, then you should shred or recycle it.
- Value. Is this a document that you can’t easily replace? If so, you may prefer to keep it at home as long as you have a safe place for it.
Going through this list will help you determine which type of documents to keep in a storage unit. You’ll avoid storing documents unnecessarily and ensure that important documents are always at hand.
Choose the Right Kind of Container
Packing documents into boxes or a filing cabinet may work fine when you keep them at home. If you’re looking to store documents away from your house, you should purchase plastic containers to keep them safe.
Cardboard boxes can break down over time, so they aren’t ideal for long-term storage in storage units. You also have to fold or tape them shut, which means it’s a pain to open and then close them up again.
Plastic containers aren’t expensive, and you can even buy clear ones to see what’s inside without opening them.
With a plastic container, your documents are in a sealed environment but are still easy to access any time you need them. And don’t forget to label each container!
After putting all your containers into your Richmond Hill-based storage unit, write up a list of all containers (by number) and their contents and put it somewhere at home where you can easily find it. This way, you always know where your documents are, and you can easily find them.
Rent a Climate-Controlled Storage Unit
Another must for safely storing your documents in a storage unit is to make sure you select a temperature controlled storage unit. For documents to stay well-preserved, they need to be in a controlled environment:
- Dampness can seriously damage documents due to mould and mildew.
- Extreme temperatures may possibly damage documents.
Protecting your documents in storage units properly is vital, especially if they are historical family documents and can’t ever be replaced. You don’t want to risk losing precious items like marriage or baptism certificates!
How can Abacus Self-Storage help me with storage units?
At Abacus Self-Storage, we offer storage units in Richmond Hill that you can use to keep your documents safely.
There are so many great reasons to consider using Abacus Self-Storage when looking for storage units:
- We are conveniently located near Highway 7, Yonge Street, and Bayview and 16th Avenues, making us very easy to access from many directions.
- We offer a variety of sizes in self-storage units. So, whether you’ve only got a few select documents to store or a lot, we’ve got a storage unit that will work for you! If you’re unsure what size you need, our staff will be happy to guide you.
- You can access your storage unit every day of the year, even during holidays like Christmas! So, if you ever need a document on short notice, you won’t be locked out of your storage unit.
- We offer excellent security, including on-site staff, interior and exterior camera surveillance, and monitored intrusion alarms.
- We pride ourselves on offering clean and dry storage units with a strong focus on pest control.
- Our Richmond Hill-based storage units are temperature controlled.
Whether you need to keep documents temporarily or for long periods of time, we have a storage unit that will work for you.
You Can Safely Store Documents in Our Storage Units
When people think of storage units, generally, they may only consider storing large items such as furniture. However, you can keep all items in our storage units, including documents.
We’ve given you three tips on how to store documents safely in our Richmond Hill storage units:
- Organize your documents, so you’re only storing items you need.
- Choose the correct type of container to store your documents.
- Make sure you rent a temperature controlled storage unit.
At Abacus Self-Storage, you will find a variety of storage units that are easy to access year-round and temperature controlled.
Thanks to our top-notch security setup, your documents will be secure and safe in our storage units.
Contact Us to Learn More
To learn more about how you can safely store documents (or anything else) in our Richmond Hill storage units, you can call us at 289-807-0981 or contact us online.
Keep your belongings safe and secure in our storage units!
- October 2022
- September 2022
- August 2022
- July 2022
- June 2022
- May 2022
- April 2022
- March 2022
- February 2022
- January 2022
- December 2021
- November 2021
- September 2021
- August 2021
- July 2021
- June 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018