5 Self-Storage Myths Debunked
Are you considering renting a self-storage unit, but you’re not sure about what to expect or that may have you concerned? There are lots of common myths about self-storage, and you may have heard some from another person with no specifics or just making generalizations, you may have become needlessly concerned about something you do not need to be worried about!
We’re here to debunk some of the most common self-storage myths. These are 5 of them:
- Self-storage units are not a safe place to store your belongings.
- Self-storage units aren’t temperature-controlled, and therefore your stuff can get ruined or damaged inside them.
- Self-storage units are only necessary if you have many things to store.
- There are no restrictions on what you can store in a self-storage unit.
- The only things offered by self-storage businesses are storage units.
If you’re looking for secure self-storage in Richmond Hill, then we’re here to help you at Abacus Self Storage. First, though, let’s debunk some myths!
Myth 1: Self-Storage Units Are Not a Safe Place to Store Your Belongings
At our secure Richmond Hill-based self-storage, we offer several different security features such as:
- Regular security checks by staff during business hours
- Monitored intrusion alarms after hours
- A fully fenced property with keypad gate access.
- Extensive 24/7 interior and exterior camera surveillance.
- A backup generator in case of a power failure, to preserve lighting and heating in all eventualities, like adverse weather events.
With all these great security features, you can have peace of mind that your belongings are safe at our secure self-storage facility.
Myth 2: Self-Storage Units Are Not Temperature Controlled
In Canada, weather can be a real concern. In the winter, we have snow, blizzards, and freezing cold, and in summer, we have heat and humidity. Spring and fall can be more temperate, but they often come with a lot of rain.
And yes, it is true that some self storage facilities are not temperature controlled. However, if you rent a secure self-storage unit in Richmond Hill from Abacus Self Storage, you can rest assured that your possessions are well-protected, no matter the weather outside. Our self-storage units are temperature controlled during winter and fresh air supplied during spring and summer months, to provide protection against extreme exterior weather conditions. Variations. And as further protection in emergencies, Abacus has an on site emergency electrical power generator to ensure that temperature control systems are always functional.
Myth 3: Self-Storage Units Are Only Necessary If You Have Many Things to Store
When you think of self-storage units, you may believe that the only kind of person who needs them is someone who has tons of stuff to store! However, our secure self-storage units come in a variety of sizes to suit everyone’s needs.
If you’re looking just to store some boxes or a few pieces of furniture, then all you need is one of our smaller units; for example, a 5 foot by 5 foot (about 2.4 square meters), or a 5 foot by 10 foot unit (about 4.7 square meters). If you need to store the contents of several rooms, then you would be better off with a 10 foot by 20 foot unit (about 18.9 square meters) or 10 foot by 30 foot unit (about 28 square meters).
Our staff will be pleased to help make sure you get a suitable secure self-storage unit. You can tell them what you need to store, and they can inform you what size unit will be best for you!
Myth 4: There Are No Restrictions on What You Can Store in a Self-Storage Unit
In the movies, characters always seem to have everything they need to be stored conveniently in a storage locker, including items that may be considered hazardous, noxious, or dangerous. However, most self-storage places will have restrictions on what you can keep in your self-storage unit. These are some of the most common types of items that are not allowed:
- Flammable products such as paint and oil.
- Items that could attract vermin, such as food, or bird seed
- Various life forms, including animals and insects, and certain plants.
- Potentially explosive substances, such as gasoline, or new or used batteries
- Environmentally hazardous substances, like solvents and acids, or asbestos
- Illegal substances, such as drugs, or illegal weapons,
- Items that have strong or objectionable odors
Not sure if something will be allowed in your secure self-storage unit? Just ask our staff members—they’ll be happy to assist you!
Myth 5: The Only Things Offered by Self-Storage Businesses Are Storage Units
At Abacus Self Storage, we offer more than just secure self-storage units located in Richmond Hill. We also sell various materials that you can use to help pack your belongings for your storage unit or even for your entire move, whether you’re moving across town or across the country.
Some of the items you can purchase from us are:
- New boxes in a variety of sizes, for both lighter and heavier items.
- Specialized boxes, including wardrobe boxes, mirror boxes, or for drinking glasses.
- Packing paper and bubble wrap.
- Moving blankets and mattress covers.
We pride ourselves on being a one-stop-shop when it comes to packing and moving supplies!
Why should I rent a secure self-storage unit from Abacus Self Storage?
There are many good reasons to rent a secure Richmond Hill-based self-storage unit from Abacus Self Storage, including:
- We offer great security measures, including monitored intrusion alarms, gates with entry code access, fully fenced property, and an extensive network of surveillance cameras.
- We have storage units in a variety of sizes, so whether you just need to store a few boxes or a few seasonal items, or the contents of your entire house, we’ve got a unit that will work for you!
- Our secure self-storage units are temperature-controlled, so your belongings are protected, no matter what the weather is like outside.
- We sell various moving and packing supplies to help make your life easier—no need to run around town looking for them in different places!
- We provide free use of moving carts and free pallets for use in your storage unit.
- We offer affordable prices and discounts for prepayment.
You’ll be in good hands with a secure self-storage unit from Abacus Self Storage!
The More You Know
We’ve debunked several self-storage myths today and shown you that self-storage units are a secure and temperature controlled way to store anything you need to, from chairs to china! Whether you’ve just got too much stuff or just need to store some furniture temporarily, we have a unit for you.
At Abacus Self Storage, our service oriented and friendly staff will answer any questions you may have about renting a secure self-storage unit in Richmond Hill. And once you’ve put your belongings in storage, you can have peace of mind knowing they are well-protected.
- May 2022
- April 2022
- March 2022
- February 2022
- January 2022
- December 2021
- November 2021
- September 2021
- August 2021
- July 2021
- June 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018